ED: Being a self-proclaimed bread fanatic/ bread lover/ bread face, whatever you call it, as long as it’s something which requires yeast in the making, I will devour it like a plague of bread-eating locust. In fact, I could eat so much bread, I think there’s infinite numbers of yeast partying and shuffling to party rock anthem on my intestine floor right now. So tell me, what better type of bread to be crowned the undisputed king of breads but PIZZA? It’s got a crusty crust, tomato sauce, gooey flavorsome mozzarella cheese with basically any ingredient in the world gracing the base. To me, that’s like Christmas, New Year’s Eve and Chinese New Year all in one; plus 14 February too of course. ❤
Makes 4 Pizza base
Ingredients for Pizza dough
- 3 cups plain flour/baker’s grade flour
- 1 cup room temperature water
- 1 1/2 tbsp dry yeast
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for basic tomato sauce
- 1 can of tomato puree
- 1 clove of garlic(slightly crushed so it remains whole)
- pinch of dried oregano
- pinch of salt and black pepper(to taste)
Ingredients for pizza topping (for 4 pizza bases)
- 6-8 tbsp of tomato sauce
- 2 large packs of mozzarella cheese(grated)
- 100-150g pepperoni(thinly sliced by butcher)
- 32 halved cherry tomatoes
- 7-8 button mushrooms finely sliced
- A pack of olives(as much as you like)
- 1 pack of fresh basil leaves
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
Instructions for making Pizza dough
- In a mixing bowl, whisk water, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil together. Set aside for 10 minutes for yeast to ferment.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour and create a “well” in the center with your hand.
- Slowly add the yeast and water mixture a few splashes at a time into the bowl and mix together with one hand till you finish adding the yeast and water mixture.
- Mix until combined and tip the entire dough mixture onto a floured surface and with both hands, knead the dough for about a minute till its not so sticky.
- If the dough happens to be a little dry, drizzle a little splash of water at a time and incorporate. The dough should be slightly damp but not wet and sticky.
- Dust the dough and bowl with some flour and place the dough back into the bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. Allow it to *proof for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start on the tomato sauce.
Instructions for basic tomato sauce
- Empty the tomato puree into a sauce pot, add the clove of garlic and bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Season with oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
20-30 minutes later when the dough is done proofing
- Preheat oven to 240 Degrees Celsius with convection mode.
- Baking time for each pizza 9 minutes.
Instructions for rolling out pizza dough
- Generously dust your hands with flour to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
- Portion out your dough into 4 balls of equal sizes and dust the table top and rolling pin with some flour.
- Flatten the dough slightly with your hands, maintain its round shape. Now dust some flour on both sides of the dough and start rolling it out in an up and down motion while applying some pressure.
- Rotate the dough at a 90 degree angle and continue rolling. Flip the dough over to the other side and repeat the rolling motion till the dough is about 5mm in height.
- If you feel the dough sticking a little to the table, dust a little flour over the dough and table top.
- Once you successfully rolled out the dough, transfer the dough by wrapping it around the rolling pin(like the picture above) and transfer it onto an oiled oven tray or a heated pizza stone if you do have one.
Instructions to assemble and cook the pizza
- Dock the pizza base with a fork.(poke holes all over the pizza to allow the steam to escape which results in a crustier pizza)
- Spoon 1-2 tbsp of tomato sauce onto the center of the pizza base and spread it around in a spiral motion.
- Top with first layer of cheese(to hold the ingredients together)
- Top with pepperoni, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms and drizzle with a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Top with last layer of cheese and bake for 9 minutes, rotating the pizza at 4 minutes 30 seconds to ensure even coloring.
- After 9 minutes remove pizza from the oven and garnish with basil leaves, black pepper or chili flakes and extra virgin olive oil.
- Slice and serve. Bon Appetit!
*Proofing- (also called proving), as the term is used by professional bakers, is the final dough-rise step before baking, and refers to a specific rest period within the more generalized process known as fermentation. Fermentation is a step in creating yeast breads and baked goods where the yeast is allowed to leaven the dough.
*If you want your pizzas perfectly round or in heart shapes use a pizza cutter to shape them!
*Be creative with your toppings!