ED: My hands got itchy and i just had to cook something today. I ransacked my kitchen and found 2 russet potatoes sitting in the basket crying out my name. I found BFF (best friends forever) for them. Butter, chives, basil and garlic. Can never go wrong with those! Squeezed a lemon cheek to freshen and complete this super simple and tasty dish. (;
- 2 Russet Potatoes
- About 2 tbs Corn Starch or Flour
- Olive Oil (enough to coat pan)
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbs Butter
- Dried Basil
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Lemon Cheek
- Heat olive oil in pan with low heat and add 4 peeled and crushed garlic cloves. Let garlic cook slowly for about 8-10 minutes till soft and light golden brown. (watch it to prevent burning it) Remove garlic when its cooked and keep aside.
- While garlic cooks, wash and cut the potatoes into matchsticks. Around 1.5 cm thickness. Pat dry or if you want best results pat dry and refrigerate overnight. (this makes the fries dry and thus produces crispier fries)
- Coat fries in corn starch or flour lightly and dust off excess.
- Heat oil to medium high and till a potato sizzles when it hits the oil and fry them in 2 batches. Don’t over crowd the pan.
- Remove and drain oil on paper towel.
- Add in a mixing bowl and toss with butter, chive, basil, crushed garlic confit and sea salt & black pepper.
- Serve with lemon cheek.
*Tips – If you want the crispiest fries ever,
- Dry and refrigerate potatoes over night to remove as much dampness as possible.
- Deep fry the potatoes twice.
- Make sure oil is hot enough.